Steam error code 80 appears while attempting to launch a game. It makes it difficult to start the game. We have researched some effective solutions to resolve this problem.
· Check Folder Permissions
· Repair Corrupted Steam Cache
· Disable DEP and Add Steam to Exception List
· Correct Regional Settings
· Turn OFF Firewall Protection and Security Program
· Manually Launch Secondary Installers
Check Folder Permissions
Granting permission to the Steam folder would be the first choice to fix error code 80. Follow the steps given below in order to remove read-only permissions:
1. Close all active programs and go to the game’s installation directory.
2. Locate the exact path where the game is installed. Right-click on the Steam folder.
3. Select Properties from the context menu.
4. Unmark “Read-Only” checkbox and click on Apply | OK.
5. Now start the steam without getting any error message.
Repair Corrupted Steam Cache
To repair corrupt Steam cache you need to verify the game cache. Follow the instructions given below to verify integrity of game cache.
1. Close all programs and load Steam.
2. Go to Library section and right-click on Game.
3. Select Properties from the dropdown menu.
4. Click on Local Files tab | Verify integrity of game cache.
5. Steam will start the procedure automatically.
6. Exit it once the process is finished
Disable DEP and Add Steam to Exception List
Exclude Steam from Data Execution Prevention to fix Steam Error Code 80. Follow these helpful steps to complete the process:
1. Open Start and go to Control Panel.
2. Click Advanced | Performance | Data Execution Prevention (DEP).
3. Now click on “Turn on DEP for all program and services except those I select”.
4. Go to Steam Directory after clicking on Add.
5. From the Steam directory, add Steam.exe to the exception list.
6. Click on OK. Close the window.
Correct Regional Settings
Incorrect regional settings shows error 80. In some cases your steam is updated and you only need to perform following steps to set the region.
1. Go to Steam and select Settings.
2. Now click on Download + Clouds.
3. Here you can set the correct region.
Turn Off Firewall Protection and Security Program
Sometimes your security program or firewall protection conflicts with the installed game. In this situation you need to temporarily disable both these programs. Follow the steps given below to turn off security program and firewall protection.
Turn OFF Firewall
1. Open Start.
2. Type “Firewall” without quotes in Search Box.
3. Now right-click on Windows Firewall from Searched results.
4. Click on Turn Windows Firewall On or OFF.
5. Click on Turn Off Firewall (Not recommended).
6. Turn it ON once you finished playing the game.
1. Search for Antivirus Icon on Taskbar.
2. Right-click on its Icon.
3. Click on Turn OFF until restart.
Manually Launch Secondary Installers
Sometimes secondary installers such as Windows Live C++ Components, Windows Updates, DirectX and PhysX are source of the error. You should manually lunch these installers to resolve the problem. These installers are present in installation directory normally C:\Program Files.